Home     Wersja polska

Slips and information most commonly needed to prepare T1 Income Tax Returns for 2017:

  • First, Last Name and SIN (Social Insurance Number).
  • Mailing address with postal code and telephone number.
  • Information about sale of principal residence in 2017.
  • All Income Slips
    T4   Employment
    T4E   Employment Insurance
    T5007   Welfare, Family Benefits, Social Assistance
    T5007   Workers Compensation
    T5   Investments (Banks, etc.)
    T4A(P)   Canada Pension Plan
    T4A (OAS)   Old Age Security
    T4A   Other income
    T3   Trusts, other investments

  • Information about other income (babysitting, tips, casual employment)

  • Self-employed persons, subcontractors or individuals with rental income should have totals of the following categories prepared for an appointment:
    • revenue from each enterprise totaled separately
    • separated expenses of each enterprise:
      • cost of maintaining each vehicle used to earn income (fuel, repairs, insurance, washes, parking, tolls)
      • purchases for resale, materials
      • supplies
      • tools
      • subcontract expenses
      • office expenses and supplies
      • advertising, promotion (ads, gifts, etc.)
      • meals and entertainment (restaurants, sport events etc.)
      • copies of purchase or lease agreements of all capital outlays or investments (vehicles, equipment, real estate etc.)
    • any letters, forms or correspondence from and to CRA and WSIB
    • GST/HST return form
    • Attention construction related businesses:
      information about your subcontractors (names, BNs or SINs, addresses, and amounts paid during the year are required for the T5018 report).

  • All medical receipts from year 2017 and 2016 unused in previous return.
  • Receipts and monthly (or longer) public transit passes and Presto printouts until June 30, 2017.
  • Transit receipts for seniors (65+) starting from July 1, 2017 (New).
  • Cost of education (T2202): Universities, Colleges, Trade courses and Truck driving courses etc.
  • Cost of teaching supplies of eligible educators.
  • Charitable donations receipts from the last 5 years, previously unclaimed.
  • Information about property tax or rent paid last year (amounts, addresses, names of landlords).
  • RRSP contributions and withdrawals: official slips for Income Tax Purposes.
  • All Notices of Assessment or Reassessment received from the CRA last year.
  • Childcare expenses receipts (for kids ages under 7 max $8,000, ages from 7 to 16 max $5,000). Receipts should include names, SINs, and signatures of babysitters.
  • Individuals supporting spouses overseas need confirmations of sufficient financial support sent last year.
  • Information about house purchase made in 2017 by first-time buyers and persons eligible for disability amount.
  • Home accessibility expenses incured by a senior or a disabled person.
  • To establish Direct Deposit for your refunds, federal and provincial credits and benefits, we need a void cheque from the account to which refunds are to be transferred.

    ***We strongly recommend Direct Deposit***

  • All other documents that may be related to your 2017 Income Tax Return.

    Above list includes only most commonly required information, and documents. Should you have questions regarding your situation, please call our office.

2018's most important dates to remember:
Feb 28 By this date all income information slips should be mailed to you (by employers, banks, investments companies etc.).
March 01  Deadline to make 2017 RRSP contributions.
March 31 By this date some of the investment income information slips should be mailed to you (T3, T5013, T5013A).
Apr 30 Deadline to file last year's income tax return for most taxpayers, to avoid penalties and interest.
Apr 30 Deadline to pay tax owing for last year to avoid interest charges (including self-employed).
Jun 15 Deadline to file last year's income tax return by self-employed individuals and their spouses to avoid penalties.

© 2018 mac's tax & business consulting ltd.